The Evening Times marveled at the station's plumbing fixtures, which included an officers' washroom with three showers, a lavatory room, and a sink and toilet for every cell. With brass nickel plated fixtures and tile floors, the bathrooms were probably superior to those in most officer's homes.
A once-common crime prevention feature was the police station "tramp room", which provided indigents a free resting place under watchful eyes. The station house's upper floor included a room with twenty-four bunks, two toilets, and a shower for such "lodgers". During 1912, when precinct officers made 313 arrests, the station's tramp room accommodated 1,368 transients.
Because of its "special facilities", the Third Precinct Station House long served as the citywide lockup for female prisoners. Sometimes this role proved difficult, as when a 1914 inspection found that two young women detained as witnesses "appeared to have the run of the place" without the matron present, which the inspector "doubted was in accord with decency".
When new, the Third Precinct Station House was considered among the finest police stations in New York State and called "a credit to the city". It was still cited for excellence a decade later, and continued in service into the 1970s. For decades, the station house has stood vacant and boarded, awaiting a new use. On March 12, 2010, the collapse of a section of the roof and rear wall placed its survival in doubt.